The affairs of each branch are conducted by a branch committee elected triennially. They hold monthly meetings, organize social outings, information seminars and Christmas Functions for retired members in area.
A Central Committee of fifteen elected representatives and a General Secretary, oversee the running of the association. Its main focus and objectives are:
FOCUS AND OBJECTIVES
- To make representation to improve the economic status of members.
- To affiliate with kindred retired associations and national federations for the purpose of lobbying governments and its agencies in order to advance the causes of the retired community in general.
- To voice the views of the members in all matters affecting pensions and Garda Superannuation Schemes.
- To disseminate information concerning the operation of the GSRMA amongst its members at all times thereby providing an equitable and transparent means of consultation and representation.
- To disseminate the views of members, to lobby on their behalf and to promote their aims.
- To liaise with Garda Staff Associations and other Police Associations both serving and retired in a spirit of fraternal co-operation.
- To represent members on the boards of St. Paul’s Garda Medical Society and the Garda Benevolent Trust Fund and other bodies or groups in which its members may have an interest.
- To liaise with any other Association and Societies as the GSRMA Central Committee deem desirable in order to advance the interests of the membership.
- To promote welfare of the members and to represent them on the committees established for that purpose..
- To promote and develop good relations between the GSRMA and the media.
- To negotiate group schemes to meet the requirements of the members.
- To develop a spirit of friendship and camaraderie at branch, regional and national level.
- To promote the members work prospects by way of vocational training and a job liaison service.
- To pursue changes in legislation for the benefit of its members in or towards achieving any or all of these objectives.
- To enhance the organizational strength and national image of the association by means of a magazine, handouts, recruitment drives, establishment of branches and a veteran’s society dimension.