The Garda Siochana Retired Members Association is an active member of the Alliance of Retired Public Servants set-up 18 months ago. Mr. Brendan Howlin, Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform in correspondence with the Alliance welcomed it’s formalised structure for ongoing engagement on public service pension matters. Membership of the “ALLIANCE“ includes representatives of the following :
- Retired Higher Civil & Public Service
- Retired Civil Servants (IMPACT)
- Retired Teachers Unions (RTAI – ASTI & TUI).
- Retired Principals & Deputy Principals.
- Retired Members of the IMO;
- Retired Members of the Nurses Association of Ireland;
- Retired Prison Officers;
- Retired Members of Dublin Fire Brigade;
- Retired City & County Managers;
- Retired Commissoned Officers;
- Retired members from Shannon Development.
- Garda Síochána Retirred Members’ Assoc. (GSRMA)
The combined retired membership of the above representative bodies at present is over 43,000. This will grow as the ALLIANCE expands. It is estimated that there over one hundred thousand retired public servants. Being part of the Alliance of Retired Public Servants gives the Garda Retired Association a greater voice in protecting our well earned pensions.
The first Biennial General Meeting (BGM) took place at Westmanstown Sports Centre, Lucan, on Thursday, 30th January, 2014 where delegates passed the following motions:
- The BGM instructs the incoming Council to (a) advance the interest of Public Service pensioners by every means at its disposal, recognising that the priority is protect and restore Public Service Pensions. (b) Maintain close relations with the Trade Unions & Staff Associations involved, and (c) Continue ongoing development of the link with the Public Services Committee of the Irish Congress of Trade Unions.
- That the BGM instructs the incoming Council of the Alliance of Retired Public Servants to continue to pursue as its pre-eminent objective the protection and restoration of Public Service Pensions, while respecting the duty of the Alliance to protect all the interest of pensioners.
New Elected Council for the Alliance
The BGM elected the following to the New Council:-
- Chairman = Brian Burke (Impact)
- Vice-Chairman = Gerry Blake (GSRMA)
- Hon. Secretary = Christy Conville (RMA)
- Treasurer = Mike Moriarity (RSTAI)
- P.R.O. = Seán O’ Riordáin (RCPSA)
Gerry Blake, President of the Garda Síochána Retired Members’ Association along with Paschal Feeney are the GSRMA representative that attend meetings of the Alliance of Retired Public Servants.